On February 11th, Senator Udall (D-NM) and Representative Lowenthal (D-CA) introduced the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act – groundbreaking legislation that tackles the plastic pollution crisis head on. The act calls for a national bottle bill, bans certain polluting products, temporarily pauses the development of new plastic facilities, sets new standards for minimum recycled content, institutes a carryout bag fee, prevents waste from being shipped overseas, requires manufacturers to collect and recycle materials, and protects existing state policy designed to curb the use of single-use plastic. The Law Center signed onto the legislation.
- New Mexico lawmakers endorse ‘environmental rights’ bill ahead of 2022 Legislative Session
- Heinrich, Lujan look to support ‘clean’ hydrogen through package of U.S. Senate bills
- New Mexico Regulators Approve Shaft at Nuclear Waste Dump
- Diné Communities Seek Justice
- ‘Ignored for 70 years’: human rights group to investigate uranium contamination on Navajo Nation