Requesting Legal Assistance
We at the New Mexico Environmental Law Center are committed to working with communities to address environmental justice issues. We are the only legal organization in New Mexico providing free or low cost legal representation in environmental justice cases.
Please read the following before requesting assistance.
We will evaluate and may accept a request for assistance if it meets any of the following criteria:
- There is significant threat to human health, air, water or land.
- Environmental justice issues are presented; everyone is entitled to a clean and healthy environment regardless of their race, socio-economic status, ethnicity, gender, disability or tribal affiliation.
- The case could establish a precedent that would help other communities.
- You or your community do not already have legal representation.
- You or your community do not have resources to otherwise obtain legal representation.
- The New Mexico Environmental Law Center has adequate resources and the capacity to provide high quality legal services.
We do not accept the following types of cases:
- Disputes between private landowners;
- Disputes between a single individual or business owner and a regulatory agency, county, city, state, tribal or federal government;
- Criminal law matters;
- General civil law matters, such as contract disputes, consumer law issues, government benefits, divorce or child custody, landlord/tenant disputes, tax issues, or probate and wills;
- Personal injury, medical malpractice or toxic torts.